Sunday, September 8, 2013

Disgruntled Mouth-box or Loving Messenger

I saw a poster for a band called Disgruntled Mouth-box law week.  I had to laugh.  I know nothing about the band or if they live up to their name.  But, the words in the name itself made me laugh, and caught my attention. 

Disgruntled:  to make ill-humored or discontented
Taking Advantage of Light Bulb Moments
                Synonym – alienate, estrange, and sour
Mouth-box: somebody who expresses someone’s views
                Synonym – mouthpiece

Sound like anyone you know?  Being human, I thought of others first…  (Hey, just being honest here).  For example, those who have been in positions of leadership that offer complaining and criticism; one negative after another without thought for offering a solution.  The classic complainers come to mind, the ones who are the constant grouch to be avoided at all cost lest they “infect” you with their sourness. 
Beyond someone having a bad day, this makes me think of words not being used wisely.  Eventually, I get around to thinking closer to home (a.k.a. me).  Though I wish I could claim that all of my words are paragons of wisdom and virtue that build up others with guidance and leadership, I know better.  Not every word that comes out of my mouth represents the best of me or my beliefs – I too can be a disgruntled mouth-box.  I don’t have to speak it, I may have disgruntled, grumbly, roll my eyes thoughts as well – acerbic mental tongue indeed.
But, is that what I want?  Are these the words and attitudes I want to present to those around me and to keep in my mind?  Of course not!  Probably few of us do.  Not a disgruntled person, or a mouth-box.  That makes me think of someone who eventually becomes of no consequence because they are avoided as they jump on their soapbox for the umpteenth time and rail out against others; someone speaking without purpose.
What is a better choice?  Is it not better to offer words of life, building, hope, encouragement, patience, teaching, instruction, and hope?  It’s not always fluffy words or thoughts, but those that are offered are from a different perspective.  The focus is not one that is soured and sours others.  It offers a perspective that reflects the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control – Galatians 5:22-23).

I’ll challenge myself and I’ll challenge you.  Don’t be a disgruntled mouth-box, intentionally don’t!  Instead, let’s intentionally be a loving messenger.  

No comments:

Post a Comment