Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Being Bold


Boldness in times of growth.
I read a devotional today about how we often answer our own prayers. The example given was for food. I may pray for my daily bread, but will also be happy to run down to the local grocery store and pick out the items to make the meal I have planned. In someone else’s life, the daily bread may be a true miracle, because the pantry is empty and there is no funding or grocery store available. I give thanks for being able to afford and access foods and to meet other needs. But, this was a great reminder to pray boldly in all seasons.

I will praise You with my whole heart; 
Before the gods I will sing praises to You.
I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
In the day when I cried out, You answered me,
And made me bold with strength in my soul.
Palms 138: 1-3

A bold prayer is one I cannot answer on my own. It requires me to maintain my focus on Christ, or I will feel my feet become weak and knees wobbly beneath me. My mind asks, “What if this really can’t happen? What if that doesn’t happen?” I start trying out the “what-if” game, telling myself that if the outcomes need to be adjusted or corrected, this will allow me to be in a position to; even as this is a cry out to God and I have no answer on my own.

Boldness in times of storm.

These bold prayers go to the heart of my confidence in Christ and demand that I keep my eyes fixed upon Him, as this is something I cannot answer myself. Taking my eyes from my own abilities to focus on the one who created me in the first place is actually quite liberating. I can remove the what-ifs, and replace them with the conviction-of an assured belief that God is in charge of this situation and can be trusted.

Boldness in moments of autumn peace.


In particular, the final bit in this first part of Psalm 138 strikes me as a beautiful act of confidence. It is always a comfort when stepping out on faith that it doesn’t require a processing time before God can see, hear, and respond. And respond He does! Not only are prayers known, but answered. This can take many forms, but specifically includes being made bold with strength when the soul cries out. For me, when I am in such a place as to need that element of faith, it is generally something looming on the horizon. I may even know the answer in my heart, and need that boldness to carry it through.

Let me continue to pray boldly, asking for that which I cannot do on my own. For I know my God can do so much more than me.   
Boldness in cold and dark moments, waiting on the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment