Monday, August 8, 2011

A Circuitous Route


I recently had an opportunity to go back to Ohio for a family reunion.  It was wonderful to see everyone, reveling in the laughter, the memories, a few tears, and lots of great food.  Driving each way eight hours makes for a long trip, and when people ask me here where I am going I say home.  Home… a complicated word for many.  I think of three things when I think of home, right now, future, and eternal.  Right now, my home is in a town that I had never heard of prior to moving here.  Musca…what?  I moved around a lot as a kid, so I was never sure how to answer the question – where are you from?  Well… at this age, it was this town and then that place at another age.  I’m not worried about my eternal home; heaven will be the perfect spot.  But, I do wonder about what home will be for me in the future. 
A place with a view, mountains, rivers, snow, beaches?  I don’t know there are so many possibilities.  And that is only the geography and climate.  What about the people, the culture, the neighbors?  Those are also really important.  I don’t know what that will look like or where it will be, on the other side of town or on the other side of the state.  But, the route is circuitous, meandering past potentials and pasts.  Isn’t it odd how things work, how we repeat some areas and then venture into new territories?  The trip back to Ohio was wonderful, a trip home.  Then, arrived back home in Iowa.  My next home, I don’t know – it’s rather exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment