Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Equinox


Today is the Fall Equinox, a day when the sun is rising to the direct east and setting in the due west. I love fall, it’s my favorite time of year. I’m not sure I can describe what it is exactly about fall that thrills me so, but I look forward to the cooling weather, the light rains, the leaves changing colors, and the crispness of the air.
There is a tree on the corner of my street that is a living illustration of fall to me. I look forward to seeing it as the skies start holding their autumn promise. On a grey, drizzled morning when the rain is just hard enough to see in the air, but not strong enough for an umbrella, I leave for work. Pulling out of the driveway, I turn left and pass the school. I turn my wheel, getting ready to stop and look for traffic coming up, and there is the tree! A giant creature of elegant stature with limbs stretching out over the road, it frames the corner with such character and color. It is in this season that the leaves turn a golden yellow and drift down to the street and sidewalk. In the mist, it’s like a little bit of sunshine has been trapped in the color and if you stand in the right spot, it’s like being in a kaleidoscope of color and texture. The structure of the tree, its strength and grace, will be more evident as the leaves fall and show the framework to hold all of the color.

No comments:

Post a Comment