Monday, September 28, 2009

Who am I - Javert and the Bishop

Who am I? Can I conceal myself for evermore?
Pretend I'm not the man I was before? And must my name until I die
Be no more than an alibi? Must I lie?
How can I ever face my fellow men? How can I ever face myself again?”

Words made famous from John Valjean’s song in Les Miserables asks a question that many of us ask during certain points in our life. Who am I? I am the same person I was before? Victor Hugo wrote so beautifully in his book and then the thoughts were translated into music. If you aren’t familiar with the story, Valjean had stolen bread so that his family wouldn’t starve. Then, thrown into prison, he was hardened and broken further by years of hard labor and captivity controlled by Javert. Javert, the overly zealous and biased guard pursues Valjean, assuming that the prisoner whom he perceived was the true man. Instead, a bishop saw the potential of Valjean and stepped forward to show him a new person.
I spoke to someone recently who had made some difficult life choices. She wondered if she should always think of herself as the person she was. But, in doing this, she was losing sight of the person she is. Who am I? It’s not such a bad question to consider every once in a while. I am a child of the Most High King. I am a daughter, a friend, a worker, a dreamer. I am someone who strives, hopes, and doesn’t always succeeds. I’m an imperfect me, learning and not always succeeding. I, as well as this other woman, as well as you – have been created in the image of God. Created with a purpose. We all make poor choices and then have to live with the consequences. But, is the bishop right who saw Valjean as he was and could be, or was Javert who was right who saw what was? Maybe they both are. But, I would like to think that the bishop is the one who sees the greater truth. He certainly did with Valjean.
I really like the way the song ends….
“My soul belongs to God, I know, I made that bargain long ago.
He gave me hope when hope was gone He gave me strength to journey on….
Who am I? I’m John Valjean.”

No comments:

Post a Comment