Thursday, September 24, 2009

Megan & Sierra

I have two furry friends that live in my home, two beautiful labs. Maybe you need to be a dog person to appreciate them, but they have such personalities. The chocolate lab, Megan, is my warrior princess. She will decline to get her feet wet or even damp in a heavy dew. However, ground hogs have felt her furry fury before. Megan is the only dog I have ever met who truly watches television. Don’t roll your eyes now, I mean it! Doggy shoes, bull riding, and horses – these are all favorites. However, certain people attract her attention as well. PBR comes on, the flash and the music, the action and the bright colors… But, it is the bulls she barks at. Don’t bark at the cowboys – that would just be silly. This is my pink girl, my girly girl, who doesn’t like to get dirty. Instead, she has a life of pillows and couches. My independent girl, she wants attention on her terms – but don’t forget to acknowledge her or refer to her as a dog, you will watch world class pouting begin.

The other lab, Sierra, is a yellow pup who I think would look wonderful in a mask and cape. She strikes me as a super hero puppy in training. Long legs let her fly around the yard, until I think she is ready to take off into the sky. This one is the fashion girl who wants to wear her collar and maybe another one too – just for the look. But, the mud puddles call her name, even though she hasn’t quite decided if it’s worth it to get that good and dirty if a bath is going to have to follow. The puppy energy is short lived and then, this sweet girl can be found with four feet in the air, pawing her dreams. I think butterflies must flit through her dreams, and that she chases them just like she chases them in the yard. Fluttery by butterfly - Sierra is in hot pursuit, jumping and pouncing, running and then watching with an amazement in her dark brown eyes as they fly up and away from her reach.

We have had many wonderful fur covered family members over the years. They have each been special and a part of our lives, bringing laughter and memories.

I think that one of the things that I most admire about these animals is there trust. When Megan is upset, she comes and sits on my lap. She trusts that I will be there to take care of her. When Sierra is hungry, she drops her plastic bowl on my feet and sits with trusting expectation that I will go get her food. I love their trust, their faith and confidence. I remember reading a note somewhere about how a doctor was being asked by a patient if they thought there was a God. The doctor said yes. The patient wanted to know how they could trust so comfortably, with such confidence. The doctor opened the door and his dog came in the room. The dog had not been in that room before, but because his person was in the room, he trusted that it was okay to come in. The doctor went on to relate how his faith was like that. I look at these girls, both so different in their preferences and personalities, and yet - they are wonderful examples of faith to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment