Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Authority Revealed

Have you ever met someone who exudes authority?  It’s not positional, it’s not from money or political power, but authority is there nonetheless.  When they speak, people listen.  When they move, people watch.  Jesus must have been one of those people.  He spoke and people listened.  He moved and people watched.  Many sought him, many more wanted to. 
“Jesus entered the temple courts, and, while he was teaching, the chief priests and the elders of he people came to  him. ‘By what authority are you doing these things?’ they asked.  ‘And who gave you this authority?’” Matthew 21:23). 
It is easy to sit back now and wonder why these people would ask this question, and how they could really question Jesus so much.  It is easy to shake our heads at the elders, at the chief priests.  Shake our heads, wag our fingers at them – how could they miss it?  It’s so obvious!
Yet, I think about my own life and my own choices.  How often do I miss an opportunity, how often do I not obey and resist the authority of Jesus.  Perhaps I can’t really shake my head at these leaders.  Instead I must be careful to follow and obey the authority of Jesus.  I think I should thank those leaders in a way, they have allowed me a chance to be reminded of this need in my own life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment