Thursday, March 11, 2010

Vineyard Roster

Jesus often told by using parables, stories that contained a lesson in them.  Story telling is a great way to share information, to explain an idea. 
The story goes like this…
“There was a man who had two sons.  He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’
‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
“Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing.  He answer, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.”
"Which of the two did what his father wanted?" 
"The first," they answered.
Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you. For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him.”
I don’t want to work some days either.  I can lay in bed, the alarm clock on snooze, and think – do I really want to get up?  The bed is awfully warm and comfortable.  My pillows are just in the right spot.  The sun could come up a bit higher. 
I have to choose, I have to decide.  There are some times when I don’t want to do the task in front of me.  No, no no no!  I don’t want to!  I want to stay in bed where it is warm and comfy and safe!  I want to go do my own thing.  I don’t want to do that chore. 
What is worse?  Not wanting to and then going or not wanting to and saying that they will be there, only to not show.  Have you ever been on the receiving end of someone who says they will be there only to hear a whole group of excuses when they were not?  It is really hard to trust that that person will be there the next time. 
I love that next part!  Love it!!!  “The tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.”  What an amazing God.  He calls and we say no, I don’t want to go.  He instructs and we say, no – I don’t want to listen.  He says obey, and we say no, we want to do it our way.  He knocks and asks, seeks, and woos.  We break his trust over and over.  But, when we turn and decide to follow – then, we are still invited back in.  When we decide to go work in the vineyard, we are still allowed to come.  Amazing grace indeed!  Are you on the vineyard roster?

No comments:

Post a Comment