Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fear in the Answer

In the prior verse, Jesus had his authority questioned by the chief priests and elders.  But, he didn’t just hear the question and walk away from it without a response.
“Jesus replied, ‘I will also ask you one question.  If you answer me, I will tell you by what authority I am doing these things,’” (Matthew 21:24).  Okay fellas, I will answer your question but first, tell me one thing…  It seems pretty easy doesn’t it?
“John’s baptism – where did it come from?  Was it from heaven, or from men?” (Matthew 21:25).   In essence, did John come up with this idea himself or was it inspired by God? 
Then, comes the tension filled moments, the leaders talked about what was occurring and what the questions were, their answers were wrapped in fear.  “They discussed it among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ he will ask, ‘Then why didn’t you believe him?’ But if we say, ‘From men’ – we are afraid of the people, for they all hold that John was a prophet.” (Matthew 21:25-26).  From heaven – then there is fear of a discipline, a correction from not believing John.  Then, they considered from men – but they were afraid of the power of the people, the beliefs that they held. 
Think about being tossed a question you don’t particularly care to answer.  If you hem and haw long enough, you may just answer – I don’t know.  This is what happened here.  “..they answerd Jesus, ‘We don’t know.’ (Matthew 21:27).
The response Jesus gave was , “he said, ‘Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.’” (Matthew 21:27).  Sometimes, we are required to step out on a limb and make a choice, make a declaration of what we think.  It is not possible to always ride between the two choice, eventually we either fall on the fence or fall off one side or the other. 
I am going to pray that any fences I am trying to ride will be shown to me so that I can make choices.  And, honestly I don’t want to fall off or on the fence (ouch!).  But, I would like to land well, on my feet, and continue on.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment