Friday, March 19, 2010

The Second Command


Command, it sounds like a military word doesn’t it? I think of uniforms and orders, carried out with military precision.


When I looked into the thesaurus and dictionary, I found the words command:


thorough knowledge, order, direct, demand, instruct, seize control, a view over something, to have authority over something, to control....


The first commandment was 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' (Matthew 22:37).


Then there was another added… “And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Love my neighbor like myself. How do I do that? Well, let me think through a typical day, as typical as a day can possibly be. I get up in the morning where I am warm and comfy in bed. I get up to go to work, thus provide for needs. I get sleep and provide for other needs. Breakfast generally consists of fruit. Work, lunch, work, home...During the day, I may take a moment to close my eyes and just let something sink in, to laugh with a co-worker and friend at the daily Dilbert calendar, or just relax in the sunshine. If I don‘t feel well, I will take care of that with medicine, rest, hot tea, or a trip to the doctor. Exercise happens, riding on the bike during the cold winter months and looking forward to spring walks. If I love someone else like me, I’m going to be sensitive to them when they need more sleep. I’m going to be open to hearing their ideas, just like I want mine to be heard. I will laugh with them and not at them, will be gentle with them when they hurt.


If we all tried to do this, even for one hour of one day – it would make an enormous impact in our world. After all, “all the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments,” (Matthew 22:40).  Yet, it is a command, thus something we should take seriously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment