Monday, March 29, 2010

God's Stop Watch

I have four calendars on my desk at work, three more at home, plus the planner in my purse.  I keep my cell phone handy to serve as not only the communication piece, but it also serves as my watch.  I like knowing what is coming up next in my day.  I plan for meetings, plan for tasks, plan for planning - yes I am a list maker.  So, you can imagine why after reading all of this about signs and times and seasons, that part of me just wants a date on the calendar.  You know, God stamps it on all of the calendars at once in shiny gold, coming soon to the earth near you .....

Yeah, it doesn't work like that.  Instead, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father," (Matthew 24:36).  In other words, God has his own calendar and he's not sharing it right now.  Instead, "As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left," (Matthew 24: 37-41).  Part of me wonders why this is.  If we knew, then perhaps more would be prepared for that moment, perhaps less would be left.  But, I also think that if we knew, we would all have a moment of mob temporary insanity and behave quite badly.  So, I will trust that God has a perfect calendar and I don't need to know what it says.  In the meanwhile, I need to just keep living each day as the gift it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment