Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Larry


   The recent storms in Joplin, Missouri have left many of us grateful for those who are okay and amazed at the devastation.  But, in the days of 24/7 news channels, I think that we have developed a thicker skin.  I mean, it’s terrible and I would like to be able to go help, but then the TV is turned off.  I forget, go back to my own life. 
   Yesterday, I was listening to the news guy or the weather/news guy talk about what he was seeking.  Everything was pretty normal and then, they started interviewing a man looking for his neighbor.  I had probably already heard three people talk about looking for their neighbors.  But, this fellow looked at the camera and said he was looking for his neighbor, Larry.  Larry is in his 70s and was home when the tornado hit.  They can’t find him. 
   That hit me.  There was a name, an age, a man – a real person trapped in his house.  I don’t know if he is alive or dead, injured or safe.  I don’t know if he has children or grandchildren, if he is retired, likes or dislikes, etc…   I don’t know what he looks like, his favorite color, if he likes ice cream or dogs.  I don’t know what his thoughts were as the tornado hit his home and created devastation.  I don’t really know anything about him, except his name is Larry, he is in his 70s and he is missing.  I tell you what, that name, the age, it broke the barrier that I had of thick skinned listening before I even knew it was there.
   I hope Larry is okay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment