Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Uncle Raul’s Song


I have fond memories of sitting in my Uncle Raul and Aunt Mac’s living room, listening to him play “Rank Stranger”.  Gentle strumming on the strings and the sweet music filled the room.  These songs, “Rank Stranger”, “How Tedious and Tasteless”, “Using my Bible as a Road Map,” and others were sung many times in my life.  Other songs have come from friends, “It is Well With my Soul,” “Jericho Road,” and “Heaven’s Jubilee.”  Songs like these are a wonderful resource to pull on when times are tough. 
“When peace like a river, attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul.”  Songs, poems, stories, they are all so important to my family culture.  Traditions are passed down in word and verse for generations, building history and common understanding.  The memories of singing in the kitchen, the living room, the car, and everywhere between, they are sweet indeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment