Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Joy in the Morning

I have been having strange dreams lately, which is not all that strange for me. They are rather unsettling and I wake up feel disconcerted. They seem to center around conflict, which I also find unsettling. I have come a long way in learning to deal with conflict, but it still not my favorite thing to deal with. The thing that strikes me each and every time, is that my feelings of being flustered and a bit tense in the stomach from a dream fades in the morning.

I am reminded that the new day is truly new. It is not promised, it is not mine to claim. It is a gift and unique. I am also reminded that though there are effects which carry through from the day before; this is not necessarily a bad thing. There are good things that carry through to the new day. A gift of grace, friendship, life, and possibility all carry into the new day. I am reminded that though the new day is not promised, that that the things which are are rock solid and carry through each moment. There is joy in the morning, even when there are bad dreams in the night.

1 comment:

  1. A few days after your dad's younger sister, Pam, was laid to rest, your exhausted Grandparents decided to go camping in the beautiful rolling land surrounding Hocking Hills State Park. Born with multiple birth defects, they had met all of Pam's needs for almost 16 years, with the past several months in and out of the hospital. With sad and weary hearts they set out in the early morning mist to walk. A heavy rain the night before had left the ground muddy, and the leaves wet. A piece of paper stuck on a tree trunk that was near their path caught your Gran's eye. The paper was completely dry, and made her curious as to how that could be when everything else around them was wet. She opened the paper and found the words, "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning." There was no one else around that early in the morning, as they walked in the dawn. The words were as your blog puts it "rock solid" and helped carry them through those hard days. Yes, there is joy in the morning, even when there are bad dreams in the night.

    ReplyDelete