Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Singing in the Kitchen

After a large party, you can feel that you are much too tired to clean. At least, I know I can be. After my graduation party last year, it was time to clean up. More than anything, I really wanted to curl up in a quiet spot and just rest. I enjoy having people around, as long as I don’t have to be the focus of everything. That gets to be really overwhelming for me. But, I digress.

One of the things that help the time go quickly when the back and feet start aching, is to have someone start a song. “Blessed Assurance” the words rang out so clearly and strong. Before I knew it, my feet and back still ached, but were eased by the sounds ringing around me. The hymns kept building, the sound in the kitchen swelling and subsiding as different people moved through the room to put away various items. Before we knew it, it was cleaned up. The food was put away, the first round of dishes were put up. “Amazing Grace” finished the night as we held the last notes of amen. Then, turning off the lights, we each found a spot in the living room.
It was a special time, but it doesn't require such a moment to sing in the kitchen. Instead, it is something common place. Reflecting the warmth of the kitchen, the welcome of the hospitality shared there. Welcome to the kitchen, come and join in the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment