Sunday, November 29, 2009

“Don’t Fool With Those Cows”

In her eighties, a great aunt passed on some words of wisdom, if I had it to do all over again – “I wouldn’t fool with those cows.”  She had spent most of her adult life working as a helpmate, wife, and dairy farmer.  As an owner of dairy cows, she would have helped move the cows to the pasture, to the barn, fed, watered, cleaned up after, and of course – milked.  Then, looking back over life, she passes along that she wouldn’t have fooled with those cows, they were such a large amount of work.
What is it in my life that are the cows?  Do I have things that I will look back on and wish I hadn’t done, that had taken my time and resources?  There have been times when I have been so busy working on a project that I am eager to find the end, so I can resume my normal life.  But, what is it in my normal daily life that I could look back on as the cows? 
As Christmas approaches, I’m going to keep focusing on my priorities that will help to avoid the times of cows being something I look back on and think – I wouldn’t have fooled with that if given the chance again.

No comments:

Post a Comment