Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sweet Hour of Drawing Nearer Prayer


If you have been following the last few weeks, I have been focusing on preparing for a retreat time with God.  But, a week from tonight there will be a group gathering in the third of three prayer sessions praying about breaking chains.
Prayer time is so sweet, and so important.  Yet, it seems to be so easily filled with the noise of a busy life.  I wake up and hear an alarm clock, then the sound of the door unlocking so the dog can go out.  The coffee pot makes the nice percolating dripping sound, while there are teeth brushing, hair brushing, good mornings, and getting ready for the day sounds.  The fridge opens, I grab a yogurt.  The car starts, feet on the pavement and then the sounds of work.  Phones, clicking of a keyboard, voices, and filing drawers opening and closing fill the day.  The car again, dinner sounds, TV, family, and more doggy sounds.  My day is full of noise!  Even right now, there is a dog whining (sharing her opinion) and Creole music playing in the background. 

In all of the noise, in all of the busy time, it can be easy for the still small voice of God to be lost in the shuffle.    None of the things I mentioned above are bad.  They are a product of my life, in being where God wishes me to be, in serving and ministering where I am placed.  There is also an important part which needs the balance between the noise and the quiet time.  I can tell that I have not balanced it well when I start feeling beat up by life, bruised by the pace.

When that happens, I am reminded to dig in deeper to my quiet time with God.  It doesn’t come by forcing myself into some strange new practice of prayer.  Instead, it is in the quiet time that I retreat to sit at God’s feet.  Just imagine what that would be like, to sit at the feet of Jesus.  What would his voice sound like, what emotions would stir in his eyes, and my spirit would breathe in his words and love like a breath of fresh air.  Oh, and he would exchange my bruises for his healing, my tiredness for his strength and energy.  What an amazing thing!

I am only three days away from this retreat and how appropriate to be spending time tonight in prayer, drawing near.  I look forward to the time of quiet that is coming to pulling in tighter to Jesus’ feet.  And in that time, God moves – He answers sincere prayers that seek out His will!  He Answers!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment