Friday, November 27, 2009

Foreigners and Aliens

I’m not from Iowa; I am a transplant several times over.  Having moved through several states, I have discovered that my own culture is distinctive and different than many of the other cultures I have lived in.  Though I never would have realized it, without moving there and lived for a while, very different and distinct cultures within the United States. 
Moving away from your home culture, that which is most comfortable and familiar to you can be a difficult thing.  People can seem very strange, and react to you as if you are weird or out of place.  One example was moving to the pan-handle of Florida during my high school years.  I grew up with Sir or Ma’am being a surly back handed response, tipped with sarcasm and was told by my own mother to never call her ma’am!  When I moved to Florida, I was surprised to hear everyone enforcing the sir and ma’am rule in common conversation.  Not that that was wrong, just different than what I was used to. 
Most of the time, that doesn’t bother me – at least not enough that I spend a lot of time thinking about it or pondering the differences.  But every once in a while, there is a lingering thought as an awareness of difference sinks in.  Feeling that difference, I can also feel very alone in a place that feels foreign to me. 
In Ephesians, we who are followers of Christ are told that we are no longer “foreigners and aliens” in a strange land.  Instead, we belong as citizens in God’s house as part of God’s people.  Citizens, what a great word of belonging!  Not only is it a legal integration, it is also a blending of the overall culture, that we would fit someplace.   As citizens in God’s household, we are also part of a structure.  There is a solid foundation put in place by the “apostles and prophets and Christ as the chief cornerstone.”  The pieces all come together to form a holy temple.  Imagine that, no really – stop and imagine that! As a citizen, you are a piece of something larger, and you are unique in your role.  One piece cannot replace another, cannot serve multiple purposes and unique dual duties at one time.
Citizenship also comes with responsibilities.   It is as if you are coming from another country, we are in reality as we enter into Christ’s nation.  To become a citizen in the US, there are forms, tests, years required of living, speak the language, and show the ability to read, write, and a basic knowledge of civics.  To become citizens in the house of God, we must accept Christ.  The Christ that died for us, passed the test for us, spoke the language with limitless knowledge and wisdom.  Next time I feel that difference, that separation of culture, I can remember that I am a citizen in God’s house.  What a wonderful belonging!
(Ephesians 2: 19-22) 

No comments:

Post a Comment