Monday, November 2, 2009

The Sheep in the Yard on the way to a Halfway Visit

A few days ago my mother and I pulled out the driveway in Iowa at about the same time my dear friend and little boy were pulling out of her driveway in Ohio.  We were both heading to a meeting spot, about halfway between our two places, in Champaign, Illinois.  Starting out with coffee cups full, yogurts packed for breakfast a little later, we turned up the Mandisa CD and started down the road.
Following the highway, it was a great time to take in the scenery and enjoy the season.  One of the spots I enjoyed the most was the house with sheep in the yard.  There is a house, on the right side of 74 heading East, that has a fenced in yard.  In the yard, there are several sheep.  They lay around a pond,  standing by the driveway, nibbling on the grass behind the house.  Part of me loves the idea of stepping out in the morning and being greeted by the baaah’s of black and white wooly creatures.  Oh, I know that they would have to be cleaned up after, and would certainly mess up the grass.  But, wouldn’t it be fun to see! 
As I said, we were headed to Champaign for a halfway visit.  There are times when even a short visit can be a refreshing time.  Even a few hours to laugh and relax with someone you can be yourself with, can be warming and soothing.  Just ten days before the retreat.  I will hold on to the eclectic joy of sheep in the yard and the joy of a friend’s hugs and laughter.  I make a choice to continue to work to maintain the realization of the important, not just the urgent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment