Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Exercise of Assumption Jumping

Turn on the news and you will catch snippets of events that are completing changing the lives of people.   Thirty seconds and you can very easily assume that you know all there is to know about the matter.  I think, I can’t believe that they, I would have, etc…  What wonderful exercise we can get from jumping from assumption to assumption. 
Some of you might be familiar with the news broadcaster Paul Harvey, who so famously would conclude his last point with a new plot twist or change after stating, “and now for the rest of the story.”  In other words, the first information you received was just that, first information.  But there is more! 
I think that God is a lot like that.  He gives us a little piece of information and we think that we have got a good grasp of what that means.  Then, God sits down to broadcast the nightly news and we hear that we really haven’t heard the whole thing. 
I think about what God has communicated to me through his Word, through prayer, and through the Holy Spirit.  It is my human side that starts thinking – okay God, thanks for the information.  I can take it from here.  But, just as soon as I jump on that particular conclusion, I find that my assumption was just that – my assumption.   
As the New Year is approaching, I am going to endeavor in the New Year to strengthen my leaning skills.  In other words, I am going to work on leaning on God more and jumping to assumptions less.  What do you need to start working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment