Sunday, December 13, 2009

Wide Open Arms

Eleven hours at least walking and pregnant.  Was Mary sick with this pregnancy?  Did her stomach churn a bit as her body adjusted to this new and yet eternal life within her? 
I can only imagine Mary standing outside Elizabeth’s door, wondering if she tentatively paused at the door or charged in with great faith and gusto; perhaps something between.  I have never been someone who likes to jump into the new things without a lot of information before.  When visiting other people, I am always more comfortable when I know what to expect, when I know how I will be welcomed. 
Mary entered the home, she greets Elizabeth and as the sound hits Elizabeth’s ears, the baby that is now six months old jumps within her.  A baby that is six months old, as Elizabeth rises, the baby in her womb will feel her shift, feel balance as his inner ear is developing, even has working hearing and is developing working hands.  Baby John must have done his own little dance.  Mary was really greeted – as was the life she was carrying in her. 
Mary enters the home, greets Elizabeth, and Elizabeth blesses her!  What a great welcome! This is the moment when an older, wiser woman greets the young and perhaps scared girl with not only joy, but great warmth.  "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished,” (Luke 1:42-45).  Talk about a warm greeting! 
I can just imagine the bustle that occurred from there.  Gathering Mary in to her arms, comforting her, talking, laughing, letting her rest from her journey.  Elizabeth would have had her own story to share.  Zechariah would have been there as well – though still silent.  This is an example of the community of God functioning well. 
What is God doing in your life that will be an encouragement in the life of another later?  What are you walking through that during this time someone within the community of Christ you can seek healthy and helpful support?

No comments:

Post a Comment