Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Holiday Stroll – from the View of a Beagle

Last night was the annual Holiday Stroll in the small mid-western town of Muscatine.  The main “downtown” street was blocked off from all but foot traffic and the people pour in.  Starting when it is dark, the lights wrapped around street lights, in window displays, and in a Musco Lighting display all give everything a lovely holiday glow.  In storefronts, dance classes perform and musicians play in some other stores.   As I was walking down the street, I saw the cute little beagle who hangs out in one of the stores – and I wondered… if she could tell me, what would this whole event look like to her?
Perhaps, something like…
“Well, being a beagle, you all are so much taller – giants really.  So, you can imagine how tall those trees are.  Who is that fellow that keeps showing up in the store windows by the way?  Shouldn’t he really look into getting some different clothes, he might start to smell if he doesn’t.  Or is it like my favorite collar and it only needs to be washed if I find something really great to roll in? 
Wow – so many feet!  Look at them go, big feet, little feet, and so many different kinds of shoes.  I wonder where everyone is going.  Do they just walk back and forth in front of my door or are these different giants?  It’s hard to tell through the glass and in the darker lights. 
Oooohh, did you smell that stuff in that guy’s cup?  I hear the store next door has cider for everyone.  I wonder if this is cider.  Hey – you – yes – you – put your cup down here for me please.  Everybody says this is the time for sharing, so share already.  I’ll share too, I have a bone that might be tasty.  Don’t mind the lint. 
Well, my person is calling me.  I guess I need to peel my nose off the door and resume my job here at the store.  I’m the official greeter.  Except this time of year, I think I’m the official greeter/hand warmer.  People sure are nice to share that with me.  I get awfully hot some days. “

No comments:

Post a Comment