Sunday, April 4, 2010

Don’t Get Plank Eye

There is so much going on between Jesus entering the city up to this point. We have witnessed the words of betrayal, hope, fear, future, and past. Words that have taught of trials to come, hints at a future, and a perspective that is truly shattering have been shared. Words of treason, of love, and of instruction wrapped up in whispers of conspiracy and murder, shrouded in hope.

It is easy during the reading of these words to become impassioned. “I wouldn’t have done that!” “I would have done this!” “How could they?” And yet, I think those are the moments we get plank eye. I know that I am a few days behind to line this directly up with Easter – what can I say, there is just so much here. Knowing that, I am still going to continue and finish up the story, even if it is a few days after the day we mark on our calendars.

Plank eye, you know that disease don’t you? What are the symptoms you ask? Well, there is single minded focus on self, self-righteousness and a tendency of the patient to temporarily forget their own screw-ups. They may be loud mouthed or loud mouth-hearted during this time. If left untreated, they may even develop a callous shell over their being which will hinder future growth. When we get the plank in our eye, we are losing sight of what is wrong in our own life and judging someone else.


This was a time when this group who wrote the words and lived these words suffered from some serious plank eye. First there is Judas, “waiting for the opportunity to hand Jesus over,” (Matthew 26: 16). Then, there is the warning of the betrayal which has already happened and not fully been acted out, “‘I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me.’ Followed by ‘This very night you will all fall away on account of me,’” (Matthew 26:21).


There is betrayal and falling away to come. It is easy in the next few days to judge, to make those quick statements. And yet, I would say to examine your heart of hearts. Would you really have stood firm?

No comments:

Post a Comment