Monday, April 5, 2010

On the Cusp

The day that Jesus has been aware of for eternity is almost to him in Matthew 26: 36-46. It is in that garden that we find the pieces of crisis falling into place, foretold and not yet understood. This is one of those moments which for me helps to answer the why questions in life. Why does this happen? Why can’t that happen?
Haven’t you ever wanted to just pray, and yes – have indeed prayed – trying to negotiate with God what will happen next? Sure, we all have. But, eventually we have to make a decision. We can decide to follow our will or God’s will.
What about Jesus? Here in the garden of Gethsemane, he could have surely slipped away in the night. Avoiding the guards, the Pharisees, slipping into obscurity. Maybe think that escape was not an option, he could have tried to reason his way out, change the tacts with the Pharisees which had not worked and be the political friend rather than foe. Maybe he could have acted as the king in the way that the people expected, setting up an army to overthrow Roman rule. Instead, the words were…
“My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
Then a second time he prayed, “My father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.” After a third prayer, Jesus returned to the disciples. Finding them once again asleep, he wakes them and tells them, “Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!”


The moment was there, the choices had been made. Not my will God, but yours.

So when I want to negotiate, when I want to do something different than God’s will – not my will God, but yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment