Friday, April 9, 2010

Weather and Smell Reminiscence

Reminiscence to me implies that swirly odd sensation when you think of past moments, and they are brought back to recall with some sensory stimulus and impact. Generally this hits me when I see someone, and not being the greatest with names, I think “I know that person, don’t I?” But, that general sense of being aware of something else to bring up a memory that is so strong that it invokes the remembrance.

I think it is smells and weather that impresses upon me so strongly. The smells of coffee hit me just right walking down the hallway at work, in the afternoon when the coffee smell is just starting to stale. For just a moment I am standing in my grandmother’s kitchen, smelling the remnants of her morning coffee. Tonight, I had my hair cut and taking pity on me in my state of having a cold, the stylist used peppermint conditioner. What a wonderful thing by the way – peppermint conditioner! Anyway, for just a moment I could almost taste the butter-cream mint that was made for a party held years ago. The texture and thickness, I could almost taste them. Another thing struck me today, as I walked outside, the wind caught me and brushed across my face. Spring coolness, and I was back in the Tetons and feeling the morning coolness of the mountains.


If you would remember me by a smell, what would it be? Freesia, coffee, Watkins, marigolds, and lavender, fresh bread, and darkest chocolate? Pine needles, candles, tea tree oil, vanilla, and dirt? Daisies, dogs, ink, and old books? If I remember you by a smell, what would that be? A cologne, Dial, sweat, leather, wood-smoke, steak on a grill, the first snow, the spring rain?

No comments:

Post a Comment