Saturday, April 10, 2010

Lord Change Me

I prayed a simple prayer, well simple in syntax anyway, just three words over several months last year.
“Lord, change me.”


It wasn’t something lengthy or lofty discussion on a difficult theological point. Yet, it had complexity and structural layers which staggered my understanding. Lord, change me was brought to my attention through a book by Evelyn Christenson. She challenged the readers to pray this prayer.

Not …“God, please change my neighbor because they drive me crazy and put their leaves in my yard.”
Not … “God, please change those leaders because they have all lost their minds.”
Not … “God, please change my family.”
Not … “God, please change that difficult co-worker.”

But, “Lord, change me.” Please oh please, change me. I prayed this and wasn’t really quite prepared for what sequence of events occurred. I look back now and I can see events falling into place, one after another, which at the times were so difficult, even intimidating. They were not in vain though, they served a purpose and God was answering that prayer.
Then, with an lovely group of ladies, we started praying that God would bring it to our hearts and minds grumbling. I felt like all my grumbling was ink that was coming out of my mouth, staining everything in somewhat close proximity. I was startled and dismayed at the amount of grumbling I was now aware of. It seemed that I just needed a mop wherever I went. This is something I am still working on, though the initial tidal flood of inky perception has slowed somewhat.
Just recently, I felt the need to progress further in the Lord change me prayer. I’m not sure where this will lead, but I’m excited to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment