Friday, September 10, 2010

Grabbing the Hem

   I damaged my knee and ankle about a year ago. At the time, there was a lot of wait and see to know if surgery would be needed or if physical therapy would work to restore the joints. Doctors looked at x-rays and put me through a range of tests. Does this hurt? Does that hurt? Can you do this? How about that? About a year later I was taking a walk and had a twinge, just a twinge, in my knee.

   I had a moment of discouragement. How long is this going to last? Really, it’s still hurting? But, then I remembered the woman who was tenacious and persistent in seeking healing. There was a woman who had been bleeding for twelve years. She went to doctors and spent all of her resources in getting different treatments. Nothing worked, nothing helped. Twelve years? She must have been getting desperate by now. But, she didn’t give up. Instead, she heard about Jesus. She came up behind him and touched his cloak thinking, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” The woman touched the garment and was freed from her illness.
   I love the tenacity of that woman! I love how she was seeking healing, had not given up – even after twelve years. Can’t you just imagine her face as the crowd was pressing around Jesus? The determination and hope in her eyes? How easy it is to give up, to say that something just won’t change or heal. But, we have an example of something different here. No matter what is your hurt or twinge or pain, physical or mental or emotional – grab onto the hem of the garment.
   "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering." Mark 5:34

No comments:

Post a Comment