Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Knots



Have you ever had a knot in that shoulder blade area?  You know, follow the bone and between the spine and the shoulder blade, there is that spot screaming out for a good strong rub.  Using the strength of her hands and arms, I have a wonderful massage therapist friend who seems to know where those knots are extra sore.  She holds down gentle pressure on them.  Slowly, the muscle starts to relax.
While it may feel like a tiny golf ball has become wedged in my shoulder blade area, it is generally stress that gathers there.  The pushing, rubbing, massaging motions across the muscles and skeletal systems help to dislodge the tension.  It can hurt a bit.  Okay I’ll admit it, for those really sore muscle groups more than a bit.  You may even have a low grade fever the next day.  So, why put up with the tender touch or the potential to actually be sore or have a low grade fever the next day?
The long term benefits outweigh the initial potentials for discomfort.  Muscles relax, tension fades, these knots start to relax.  Fatigue from daily struggles starts slipping away from my muscles and work its way out of my system.  I will sleep better, relaxed a little to let thought think clearer. 
Sometimes, I think that I run across things like knots in my life.  Not muscles and nerves, but difficult times.  I can shy away from it and hope that it works itself out, or I can start to gently knead the area.  Pushing gently, adding gradual and careful pressure, I can help that knot release.  Knots that are ignored often don’t get better on their own.  Instead, I have to apply pressure to myself to resolve them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment