Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Stranger’s Smile

“Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.” Hebrews 13:2
Sometimes, a kind word from a complete stranger can make the difference in your day.  Recently, on a day that I was looking for sunshine behind every cloud which seemed so large, heavy, and grey, I found sunshine through the smile of a stranger.  Walking to work, she had crossed the street and was heading to an assisted living center.  A big smile greeted me, “oh what a pretty hat, it looks so good on you.”
I responded with a “thank you,” but must have seemed either not quite awake or a little surprised because she went on to emphasize it. 
Parting ways, just a few words and a couple of seconds, but she made my morning.  I walked a little lighter, smiled a little quicker.  Perhaps, just perhaps, I entertained an angel unaware that day.  Maybe I can go be an “angel” to someone else tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment