Friday, October 23, 2009

The fourth time is the charm….

I had to laugh last night when I opened up my devotion to read and spend some time with God before shutting off the light and getting some sleep.  There it was, in black and white – Romans 12:2 – “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” 
I always pray that when God would like me to know or do something, I ask Him to please be very clear.  I have normal human hearing, normal human vision and so I can both be deaf, blind, and easily …. ooohhhhh shiny….. distracted.  This last weekend was the Missions Conference at church.  There were several speakers, fun music, fellowship, food, and a good time was had by most.  But, what I found so interesting and why I say the fourth time is the charm is because I heard Romans 12:2 in very personal and moving ways over three days – only to be followed up by this devotional by Evelyn Christenson. 
Over the last few months, I have been praying with increasing feelings of the importance to be more faithful in this, to seek God fervently.  Then, we started off on Saturday evening with Bread of Life missions.  There was an introduction of the mission, what they are going through and a little of the people they minister too.  I found myself moving to the edge of the pew, straining for the next word, wanting to know more.  The passion and faith which these men had was something that spread over the room like a sweet wind. 
The next morning, that evening, and then Monday at a Women’s Soup Supper, I heard speakers who had not collaborated individually speak on similar topics.  Each was building on the other; God had planned these messages so perfectly.  That led me to last night and opening up the next chapter of my devotion.  There the verse was again – four times in less than four days.  I had to laugh. 
But, what comfort there is in knowing that God is hearing me, that His will is not some hidden like some jester’s toy.  Instead, it was made abundantly clear.  I laughed with joy, and felt a rush inside my heart of hope that grew stronger.  Hope that will feed faith, trust, and joy inside me and allow me to grow, to seek, and learn.  And thankfully – while my vision, hearing, and attention span are not perfect, God will tell me the same thing over and over until I finally get it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment