Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Silence

Crickets, a soft wind, the crackle of a fire, frogs singing their tunes, the sweetness of silence only comes when I slow myself down. Slowing down, that is so hard to do, though I’m not sure why. Have you ever tried to just be still and quiet for a little while? If I sit down for a little while, I find myself either only faking stillness with my body while my mind whirs at its normal speed or I fall asleep.

But, I need stillness. Prayer is a conversation with God. I’ve been in very few conversations that are good and while only being one way. I seem to stay awake and manage to concentrate when I’m pouring out my heart to God, but when I stop to listen to Him – it’s not so easy.

I stopped today for just two minutes to be quiet and listen. What a long two minutes! I’m going to have to work up to a longer time period. Then I think – that’s terrible, two minutes! My creator, my Lord who knows the number of hairs on my head, every prayer before I pray – and I have a hard time with over two minutes!

I’m going to make a choice, an effort, to spend time listening to God. To spend time in the quiet until it’s not so quiet. But, instead it is a time to be filled with the sound of God’s voice, sweeter than the songs of the frogs, the fire, and the crickets on a quiet evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment