Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Guided by the Lion

I have a few authors that are like old friends to me, reading their words over and over until they are part of my thought patterns.  Tolkien is one, C.S. Lewis is becoming another.  I recently finished reading The Horse and His Boy, which can be perceived as a children’s book – but really has layers of meaning.  There is a character woven through the story, a lion who the protagonist finds over and over, but interacts with him, without knowing that it is the same lion over and over. 
At the end of the story (if you haven’t read the book – stop here and go read it so I don’t ruin part of the story), the lion comes back…
Okay – I warned you…. progress further only at your own risk…..
The lion shows himself at the end to the main character and explains how he has been there all along, guiding him, changing his path, providing warmth, providing protection, teaching, and moving him to a new direction. 
In my own life, the lion has moved me off my path before.  Right now, I’m nursing along what has become affectionately known as a cobble hobbled ankle.  It’s cobble because I injured it on a cobble stone street thus leading to the hobble.  I read the Lewis book yesterday, finishing today and found myself wondering where my path was being directed.  I don’t believe in coincidence, in mis-happen could have been a chance type mind sets.  So, what is it that my path changed from, where to?  I don’t know right now.  Instead, it is my job to wait well.  It is my job to soak up the warmth from the lion rather than walk along to the next mountain.  In this time, I can continue my reading and writing, continue my seeking and searching.  And when the lion tells me to move again, I will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment