Tuesday, October 20, 2009

משפחה ~ Mishpahca

Family – that word brings out so many different reactions in people.  Complicated, wonderful, extended, messy, immediate, missing, too close, never again, wish I had, I have too much of….. Such a fantastic word, and when done well – such a breathtaking creation.  משפחה is the Hebrew word Mishpahca, or family; six letters that convey generations of stories, baggage, and hope. 
I think that it is helpful to have sort of a blanket term for such an abstract concept.  Family can be blood relatives, kin, and the family of faith.  A Missions Conference at church was started a few nights ago with speakers from a local ministry and one from Mexico.  Both missionary speakers were wonderful and the information they shared was both encouraging and challenging.  At the end, during the last song, we gathered round the missionaries as the musicians played and prayed.  Mishpahca, family – not of my blood, but of God’s blood.  Family that is at a much higher price, a much greater cost, and is led by God were gathered tonight before God.  Mishpahca was shown as people united in prayer, in hope, in family.
My own blood family, my Mishpahca, is very special to me.  We gather round each other when there are celebrations and over hurts.  Food is delivered for new babies, sickness, and when grieving.  And there is no sound quite as sweet as sitting in the kitchen, singing with family as the work needs to get done, listening to each part of harmony.  It’s about being there and making the effort.  I’m thankful for my Mishpahca.

No comments:

Post a Comment