Thursday, October 1, 2009

Perspective

The way I view someone, even without really meaning it to be, is focused on what is outside. I see how they are dressed, how they present themselves, cleanliness, and expression - outward things. Okay, I'll be honest, attractiveness plays in there too. Smile people, make a positive impression! What I see is on the outside and can be totally misleading.

I can dress up, put on the best outfit where the lines fall just right, a great pair of shoes, hose, some time with the flat iron and various hair products. Lotion and then make-up, just a bit of mascara, lipstick and gloss, all applied with expert precision. Grab the perfect little bag and wah-lah - the person I am presenting you helps to create a positive perception. Or, if you would have seen me Monday night, just a bystander and fellow shopper at Wal-Mart, you would have seen me in over-sized grey sweat pants that have a few little holes in the knees. A pink t-shirt collar showed around the grey sweat shirt, again oversized for comfort. The hair was not done and therefore at poofy odd angles. A tan shoe on my right foot, my boot on my left to keep the ankle supported, no make-up and a pained if not determined look on my face. What would the perspective be there? For someone who didn't know me, it could be completely different. Thankfully, God doesn't see my limited perspective when he looks at me or you. Instead, he is looking much deeper and broader.

What does God see when he looks at me. Oh Lord - don't look at me! I am much more the sweat pant person than the swirly skirt perfect hair person. I am messy and messed up sinful fall on my face person. But, God sees me in His image! HIS image - how is that possible? How could he love me so much that he could see past they layers of problems, insecurities, hopes, dreams, and head strong stubbornness? I am thankful that he does! I need to start looking at myself like God looks at me. That means I can't ignore the difficulties, but will go out and face them, knowing that God's strength is on my side. That also means that I get to see God's perfect plan for me, His perfect will. What do you see if you look at yourself from God's perspective? I know someone who sells themselves short. A growing faith, funny and boisterous bounce in each step, I love the activity and watching the activity and bustle. But, if you listen to the perception it is focused on all the past problems, past failures and successes, past hurts, past hopes. It hurts to see someone that I care about look through human eyes and (even worse), the critical eyes that are around. God doesn't see that when he looks at my friend - he sees someone who is precious to Him, someone worth dying for, someone forgiven, and someone loved. I'll stick my glasses on or my contacts in, in my prayer life asking God to give me a better perspective.

I'm tackling a new book, about the life of David. I love the title of one of the chapters, David and the Dwarf. You might have heard the story of this shepherd boy who goes out to face this giant who was nearly 10 feet tall. NBA agents would be swarming this guy with his build, athleticism, and confidence. Then, there is David. Just a regular old shepherd boy, the youngest of the sons, and one that tends to be forgotten about at that. David goes out and faces the giant. Everyone else sees a giant. But, God saw that Goliath was though physically imposing, was really much weaker than David. David had an opportunity to see Goliath, the Giant, through God's perspective. I want to see through God's perspective. Let's go get our eyes checked together and learn to look together. What is it that is a giant to me, but is really dwarfed in God's sight?

No comments:

Post a Comment