Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Don’t You Dare Try to Steal My Joy

The last week was a whirlwind as the family prepared for a very serious surgical procedure to occur.  It was an up and down and round about dizzying experience.  Yet, we came through this with great joy and praise.  God is good!  God is good regardless of the outcome of all of this.  But, knowing that God is good, that he is faithful was such a comfort.  Then, after receiving good news from the surgeon and having the joy of passing this on, I was sailing pretty high.  Exhausted but elated.
Then, in a bold move there was an attempt to steal my joy.  Words that came at an inopportune time caught me tired and busy.  I left feeling even more drained, that each words that they had said was like a little leach that attached itself to me and drained away joy.  It only took a moment before I realized what was occurring and announced in the kitchen, “Don’t You Dare Try to Steal My Joy!” 
Oh the attacker is cunning, will change strategies to hit us as hard as possible.  For me at this time, it was a moment of fatigue that led to vulnerability.  Then, whack!  The enemy tried to knock the joy out and then cart it away.  No no no!!!  You cannot have it!  Why steal joy?  What could be powerful in joy? Well, Nehemiah phrases it so well, “Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength,” (Nehemiah 8:10b).  There is power in joy because it is strong.  Joy is like the sun, it warms everything, providing light, comfort, and strength.  The joy of the Lord contains rays of peace, hope, compassion, strength, grace, and love.  There is power in this, power in the ability to rest in God. 
So, I declare right now that my joy is off limits!  You may not have it!

1 comment:

  1. I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy, down in my heart! Way to go! I'm hanging on to my joy too!

    ReplyDelete