Saturday, January 16, 2010

Finding a Stone of Ebenezer

Samuel and his people had just experienced a great victory, and in response he “set up a stone between Mizpah and Shen.  He named it Ebenezer, saying, ‘Thus far has the Lord helped us,’” (1 Samuel 7:12). 
Several years ago, I found an interesting looking stone sitting out at the corner of the barn.  It stood about a food tall, with a shape coming towards a sort of soft edged pyramid at the top.  I had read about this stone of Ebenezer and it struck me as just the thing, plus it would look wonderful tucked in the front flower bed amongst the mint.  I tilted the rock one way, then another – wow, a lot heavier than I thought…I would need to rethink this strategy.  Though it was mid Iowa summer, a yellow snow sled struck my eye as the perfect tool.  Working it out of the rafters in the garage, and dodging the several months worth of dust that had collected since winter, soon I had the sled sitting by the rock.  I tipped it towards the sled until gravity proved my friend and the stone tumbled noisily into the yellow plastic rock transporter/winter sled.  Pushing and shoving I moved the stone away from the barn and down the little hill, across the driveway, and to the mint patch.  Then, wobbling and wiggling it from the plastic, I slowly maneuvered it into place.  It was a reminder every time I saw it of the celebration of the Lord’s help. 
Right now, that stone is well covered along with the mint under about a foot of snow.  It’s just one more lump under the lump of other things in that flower bed. But, I know it’s there.  Sometimes, I think I need tangible reminders of God’s help.  I wonder if I should, that my memory is running too short and shy of where it should, but maybe if Samuel set up a stone of remembrance it’s not such an odd thing.  Anyway, after the many prayers that have been answered this year so far, the many many prayers, I have thought perhaps a stone of Ebenezer is called for.  It’s just a reminder, a reminder of what God has done.  But, those reminders are good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment