Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Dreams of a New Year

Now that 2009 has ended and 2010 is well under way, I’ve been thinking about what I would like to accomplish this year. 
I don’t want to follow the typical plans of new years, soon to be cast away, resolutions.  Instead, I would like to establish good goals that are something which will cause me to grow, yet be attainable.  Good goals are rather like objectives, when written well you know what it is that is to be achieved, in what time span, the steps and process that this will take, and what it will look like when it will be accomplished.  So, really this is moving from a dream to a goal to a plan to action.  If you read about goal setting, objective making - experts state that you should tell everyone, it helps to make you more accountable.
So, my first dream is to write my book, hopefully the first of several.  I’m not giving away what it is about or the title, but it has been started.  I’ve never written anything quite this lengthy before and have absolutely no idea if it will ever be published, or even how to go about that.  But, I figure that if God has plans for those words, He can take care of those needs.
My second, and please note that I am really not looking to follow the typical new years resolution plan, but it is to lose weight and be more in shape.  I have been successful in this before with carefully watching calories and then another time by being carefully about proportions.  I’m not quite sure how this one is going to work yet, but to occur it will need a plan of action and help along the way.  Especially on evenings when brownie mix is calling my name, or bread – oh bread and butter….
My third, and these are not really in any particular order, is my study.  This last year was one which was a pruning year for me and then of some new growth.  The pruning hurt by the way.  But, it was by the master pruner, and from that there is new growth and the promise of abundant fruit.  So, in honor of that I think I will not only study, but also grow some grapes.  I do enjoy reading my Bible, but I do not want to just read words and then not remember later what I have read.  Instead, I am seeking to dig in and study God’s Word. 
Three goals for one year, that is not so terrible is it?  Well, here at the starting line it isn’t.  But, as I continue to walk, I will need the encouragement of some, the call to accountability of others.  I hope that you have some dreams which can turn into goals for you this year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment