Friday, January 8, 2010

A Refocus

I’ve worn glasses for years, and then switched to contacts about 6 months ago.  I love the freedom to have fun sunglasses, not looking over or under the brim of the frames.  One day, I put my contacts in and everything was a little blurry.  I couldn’t quite figure out what was going on until… wait for it… the light bulb went on.  They were in backwards! 
My eyes were out of focus so that distorted the visual perception of everything around me.  When my internal vision gets out of whack, that does the same thing.  Backwards viewing not only throws off my perspective, but I start giving the wrong things the wrong priorities.  Like a fog, subtle yet strong worry creeps in and makes it hard to see.  Then, signs flash along the way holding detours to follow.  They look so official, and yet will guide me off of my road.  The what-ifs of pot holes bounce me; I cannot see them in that foggy mess.  Pretty soon, the fog grows darker and darker.  The swirls changes to darkness and I feel truly lost.  Where are you Lord?
Then, a gentle reminder comes. The Lord who is the “Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them – the Lord, who remains faithful forever,” reminds me that my glasses are on backwards again.  From the Lord who will always be faithful and has been right there with me through dark, detoured, pot hole strewn path comes a tap on the shoulder.  I can almost hear him saying, Jessica – how about we try taking off those glasses and looking at things through a different lens.  Things slowly go back where they should.  The sun comes out and burns up the fog.  Then, I can see!  I can see the road, the detours that are false, the possible pot holes, and still I am not traveling alone.  Instead, I am reminded that the Lord “gives sight to the blind.”  What a wonderful gift!  I will turn my eyes upon Jesus and refocus my vision.  

No comments:

Post a Comment