Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Surprising Lack of Passivity in Meekness

I’m not someone who craves the lime-light, limes never were my favorite fruit. Instead, it is working behind the scenes and watching it all fall together that I really enjoy. When someone can stand on the outside and partake of a project or event and think that it was so easily participated in, I am in my moment of really enjoying that time. Some people think that because of that I am just a super quite person, and though I can be quiet I’m not really a super quiet person. Give me that one on one quality time and I will jump right into the conversation.


Anyway, being quiet some people think I must be this wonderfully meek individual and I have come to realize that that has some very interesting, though odd undertones that come with this. Meek, you might have heard and are thinking about “Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.” That actually comes out of Matthew 5 and is part of the Beatitudes or what I like to think of as the Be Attitudes. Let me set the stage by saying that Jesus has seen crowds of people who are coming to hear him. So, he goes up on a mountainside and sits down. Then, when his disciples come to him, he starts teaching them….….


"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”


You might be stopping and scratching your head and pausing – what, did that say it’s blessed to be falsely accused? But, let’s not lose sight of our focus for this particular moment. “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.”


Meek here seems to kind of represent a lamb to the slaughter, powerless and totally passive type of response. “Oh yes, I will inherit the earth if I just act as a doormat for everyone who comes my way.” No way! Meek is someone who is humble, gentle, and modest. God is not a timid God, yet his children which are meek may be labeled in just that way – timid, scared. Let’s check out a different context though, this one is from Zephaniah.


Zephaniah issues a warning, a destruction is coming because people have turned away from God. There are a few chapters describing the upcoming consequences and justice that will be taking place. However, Zephaniah 3 goes on to describe the future of Jerusalem. Jerusalem, personified here, is warned that by not accepting correction, not trusting and drawing near to God that there are consequences. Rulers are corrupt, resources are not well spent, and the law is not obeyed even by those in power. God cautions them that he has tried correction and they have spurned it, always a dangerous thing to do. This isn’t because God is vengeful over their reaction, but because he loves enough to keep trying. In that trying, there is a promise that over the land, there will be change. With that change will be a removal of the pride, the removal of that sin and arrogance. Instead, “I will leave within you the meek and humble, who trust in the name of the Lord,” (Zephaniah 3:12). These are going to be the new leaders, the new law makers, the decision makers. These are the people who are going to work together, unafraid because of the great trust they have in the Lord. It takes activity, not passivity to trust, to act, to withstand the difficulties in those dark times. These were the people who were withstanding the arrogance, lies, treachery of leadership. That is not a passive thing. Yet, they were not seeking the limelight either, instead they were humble and returning the praise to God.


So, if someone thinks that because I’m quiet, I’m meek they are rather off the mark. But, it is something I can aspire to.

No comments:

Post a Comment