Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Step Stools and Mary Hearts

   I had the project this last weekend to completely empty and clean my bedroom. So, after everything was moved, the walls still needed to be washed and the carpet cleaned. With a sore knee, the step stool wasn’t really all that fun. But, I had to do something to reach the top of the walls. So, it was on and off the step stool I went. By the end of the day, what can I say but ouch. However, it felt so good to have the room clean. At the end of the day, I stretched out on the floor, just to enjoy the carpet.

   As much as I am looking forward to having the new furniture in place and everything back, I love the quiet space that now exists.
   The quiet, when our world just gets too busy and noisy (which is quite frequently), it is a precious thing to me. When I become too busy, it is just so difficult to hear from God. That is probably partially why I so admire the Mary heart. Luke 10:41-42 says, “‘Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’”
   There seems to be plenty to worry about, knees for instance as you climb up and down off of step stools. But, what good does that worry do me? I don’t mean not caring and just nonchalantly passing off everything in my path. There are definitely items which require planning, coordination, and are deserving of attention. But, that isn’t worry. Worry is the act of just well, worrying. You don’t do anything productive with it.
   I am a champion worrier. I know how to worry in multiple time zones, across continents with multiple subjects at one time! I know how to worry about the weather (a dog that freaks out at storms), the future, the past, work, bills, life, health, family, friends…. I know how to worry! And maybe that is part of the trick of it, I know how to worry. I get it, I understand it. But, not worry and sit at the feet of Jesus, well that is not my natural state and I have to unlearn and relearn things. Lying on that carpet though, I was reminded once again, gently and quietly, with that still small voice, “Give it to me.”
   “Lord, I’m worried about…..” my list would start rolling off my tongue.
   “Give it to me”
   “But, Lord, I’m worried about….. (I’m know progressing into international politics, weather, and my April calendar).
   “Give it to me”
   “But Lord, are you hearing me? I said I’m worried about…..”
   “Give it to me.”
    I paused, and then it hit me – wow I’m doing this again. I’m worrying, and holding on to things that I can’t control, can’t fix, can’t do anything with.
   “Lord, I’m giving it you.”
   “Thanks. Now, just be quiet”

No comments:

Post a Comment