Sunday, March 13, 2011

Why Do We Pray – We Can’t Fix It

   I love the smell of a hardware store. The feel of wood and all of those really interesting tools that I don’t know how to use, such fun! As much as I enjoy a hardware store, I am not terribly adept at power tools. I am not the person to come to when something breaks. There are times when things more serious than an appliance or piece of furniture breaks. When a person breaks, be it directly related to sin or indirectly related to the condition of sin – I do not possess the capability to fix them. So, what to do?

   James 5 says, “And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.” The prayer offered in faith, stepping out on belief and trust of the commitment God has toward His children, it is a powerfully moving action. It is not that the prayer is so powerful, but the act of trusting an omniscient, almighty Creator who is powerful is something which reinforces our reliance upon Him. To make the sick well. Well can mean different things, one is acceptable. When I read this, part of me wants it to say healthy, so that the sick will be healthy. But sickness truly is directly related to an action of sin, or indirectly related through the very presence of sin in our world. Therefore, it is unacceptable. But, this prayer in faith, to make the unacceptable acceptable, the un-forgiven forgiven, it is better than physical health. It is spiritual health, and more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment