Saturday, December 25, 2010

Heard his Voice

   Christmas morning and all is quiet. My grandparents are in the kitchen cooking up sausage gravy, eggs, and biscuits. My mom is finding Christmas music for the celebration to come and distracting me with plans of impromptu caroling. The dogs are all quiet, stretched out for their morning naps. The door to the kitchen is closed, keeping them from being underfoot (as they are such happy helpers). Then suddenly, they heard my dad’s voice and each got up with tails a-wagging, happy faces in joyful anticipation of seeing him. The door is still closed, but there they stand. They recognized the voice and moved in anticipation of seeing him.

   It struck me in that moment how we have a door, a “glass, darkly”, that is a barrier between us and viewing God in His fully glory. But, when our master approaches from the other side, how wonderful it is to hear his voice. Knowing that “now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” On this morning on celebration, amidst the music and foods and packages, my ear turns to hear the voice of Jesus.


(1 Corinthians 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment