Sunday, December 19, 2010

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

   I seem to be putting off wrapping this year, mainly because I just haven’t gotten to it yet. But, as the days trickle down to the actual day, my fingers are starting to worry that they haven’t felt the tug of scotch tape and the sound of paper being cut. So, with that in mind, the paper will be hauled out soon – if I can convince all of my doggy helpers to go to bed and not “help”.

   In the meanwhile, I’m thinking back over the last few days and a moment that really struck me. Before heading out for dinner with friends, my car needed some fuel. So, a quick stop at the gas station took care of that problem. It is cold outside, the ground is wet and slippery, it was evening and dark outside. Standing beside the car as gas was being pumped into the tank, I looked around at the other people who were also caught there in the cold. One woman’s eyes caught mine and we found each other shivering and smiling in mutual understanding of our chilly noses and the feel of the wind tugging at our coats. It lasted just a moment, a simple nod and smile. But, in that moment we had a clear understanding of the feel of the temperature that each were experiencing.
   Isn’t it interesting that there are moments where mutual understanding exists?

No comments:

Post a Comment