Saturday, October 23, 2010

Where Is It

   I have found that West Wing is no longer on in the morning, so instead I find myself on the news. I’m not opposed to watching the news. In fact, I think it’s important to be informed. But, the more I watch, the more I wonder – where is it?

   Where is the calm candor of discussion of different viewpoints? Where is the righteous indignation at the skew of perspective, the injustices and the plain bad behavior? Where is the burning hope and drive to change our communities? And I must admit, that I wonder where it is in me sometimes as well. What else could I be doing, where is my ire at the child like behavior of far too many adults?
   It is an annoyance, but when I see the father yelling at his children to get in the van before they are late for school, I cringe. I cringe that I can hear him all the way down the block and he sounds so angry. But, what do I say?
   When I see a parent that is actively engaged with their child in the store, involving them and talking to them, I smile. How do I encourage them?
  When someone has no gloves on a cold day, do I stop and offer mine? Where is our love? Go and love and encourage, find some way to reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment