Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas – Music

   As Christmas approaches the CD’s containing Christmas music are being pulled out, and found all over again. Some of the songs are old friends to my ears, tunes I have grown up singing. Songs such as “Beautiful Star of Bethlehem” have been sung every year for as long as I can remember. Music has been part of the family Christmas tradition for years. We sing traditional hymns, carols, and then Tom T. Hall’s Sneaky Snake. I’m not quite sure how that last one got in there, but the kids (old and young) like it.

   Now, in the kitchen, there is a CD player with music sitting nearby in a basket. As Christmas music is pulled out and played, I find the kitchen turning into a combination of my private concert hall and worship service. With one of my favorite songs, Joy to the World, I sing loudly as pots and pans clank and bang. Always on the look-out for what will be a new favorite, I scour stores looking for Christmas songs I have never heard. But, even with all of that, it is the ones which contain the sweetest memories and the truest words ring out which are held precious.
   Come on over, we will have pie, coffee, and listen to Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker. Or mix up some sugar cookies to Country Christmas Favorites. Sitting by the fire, we can have instrumental guitar music playing such favorites as O Holy Night, Away in a Manger, and Silent Night. Decorating and wrapping are best done with the jolly favorites like Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer and some familiar Bing Crosby crooning. Whatever the musical mix you prefer, sing along this Christmas and celebrate the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment